Star Wars Speeder 3D print Making Of
Front bottom half after printing.

Front bottom half after printing.

Going from the Form1+ to the Form2 the body was originally 12 pieces, 6 on top and 6 on bottom. With the larger print volume of the Form2 I did it in 4 parts which made it much easier

Going from the Form1+ to the Form2 the body was originally 12 pieces, 6 on top and 6 on bottom. With the larger print volume of the Form2 I did it in 4 parts which made it much easier

Interior done in two halves

Interior done in two halves

attached the interior to the top half and primed it

attached the interior to the top half and primed it

Painted the interior colors, center console painted metal and placed in there for the photo

Painted the interior colors, center console painted metal and placed in there for the photo

very careful masking to do the yellow paint on this part. Ended up redoing it several times due to paint issues

very careful masking to do the yellow paint on this part. Ended up redoing it several times due to paint issues

A test with some of the big parts taped together to look at the overall size.

A test with some of the big parts taped together to look at the overall size.

Here's the arduino attached to the inside of the bottom half

Here's the arduino attached to the inside of the bottom half

Here's the OLED screen module.

Here's the OLED screen module.

Here's all the parts, the right engine was smoothed and primed, but I decided to wait until I did the left engine to paint them both at the same time.

Here's all the parts, the right engine was smoothed and primed, but I decided to wait until I did the left engine to paint them both at the same time.

Got good results on the detailed parts

Got good results on the detailed parts

Closed the two halves together and ran all the lights through. The center console has LED's underneath with clear 3D printed parts inserted into the button spots.

Closed the two halves together and ran all the lights through. The center console has LED's underneath with clear 3D printed parts inserted into the button spots.

The back part is getting closed off so I took a picture of the interior with the arduino there.

The back part is getting closed off so I took a picture of the interior with the arduino there.

Finished sanding and smoothing the body seams and masked off the interior so I could paint the body.

Finished sanding and smoothing the body seams and masked off the interior so I could paint the body.

The lights on the back are installed and masked off so I don't paint over the lights

The lights on the back are installed and masked off so I don't paint over the lights

Yellow is painted and it's masked off to do the orange

Yellow is painted and it's masked off to do the orange

Here is after the orange is painted

Here is after the orange is painted

Now the green is masked off after painting the orange. It took 3 hours to do all the masking. It's just very tedious

Now the green is masked off after painting the orange. It took 3 hours to do all the masking. It's just very tedious

After painting the yellow/orange/green

After painting the yellow/orange/green

After finishing the body paint, I needed some silver line details on the dashboard, originally tried paint pens but they weren't fine enough so I made some vinyl masks and masked it off so I could spray the lines.

After finishing the body paint, I needed some silver line details on the dashboard, originally tried paint pens but they weren't fine enough so I made some vinyl masks and masked it off so I could spray the lines.

Printing the masks and cutting them out of vinyl sticker sheets helped to get some of the perfect edges for the paint masking.

Printing the masks and cutting them out of vinyl sticker sheets helped to get some of the perfect edges for the paint masking.

Arranged one of the engines to get things organized.

Arranged one of the engines to get things organized.

Placed a lot of the interior parts in, the main controls have a pretty simple lighting setup, clear parts for the buttons and then 4 LED's behind that to light them all up.

Placed a lot of the interior parts in, the main controls have a pretty simple lighting setup, clear parts for the buttons and then 4 LED's behind that to light them all up.

The main body is finished and the parts for the engines are clean and laid out to be assembled.

The main body is finished and the parts for the engines are clean and laid out to be assembled.

First engine assembled. Here's a tip, for AK metal paints you need to wait a few days before you use masking tape on them, otherwise it'll leave some adhesive behind on the paint.

First engine assembled. Here's a tip, for AK metal paints you need to wait a few days before you use masking tape on them, otherwise it'll leave some adhesive behind on the paint.

Compare to the old Hasbro toy.

Compare to the old Hasbro toy.

Star Wars Speeder 3D print Making Of

Here's some photos of the process of making the speeder. I made the most progress when I got the Form1+ printer, but later that year they announced the Form2 and it had enough improvements that I sold the Form1+ so that I could preorder it and then put the project on hold until it shipped. I have a box of the old parts I printed on the Form1+ but I redid them all with the Form2, it gets better results overall and it also gave me an opportunity to redesign some parts to get more detail or to make it easier to assemble.

More artwork
Zachary brackin album thumbnailZachary brackin background full extremeZachary brackin firefly weap